Sunday 28 December 2008

2008: A PERSONAL REFLECTION



… The year also featured the painful departure of two gentlemen with whom I had the honour and privilege of associating with at different phases of my life. Sonny Okosuns, was a man I had a great deal of respect for; and I have good reasons to believe that the feeling was mutual. I met him at a very crucial turning point in his musical career. He had just originated a
brand of music. The music had its roots in the culture of his Bini people, steeped in percussion and sonorous melody. It was also message music. The days of lyrics that contribute nothing to society were over for him. It was a departure from rock and reggae music that were in vogue at that time in the early 1970s which were of foreign origin. Sonny was a nationalist. The change had to be total; he sought to do
what you would call re-branding today…Being an entertainment writer, among other
things, at the time, I had a ring-side ticket and my opinion was not infrequently sought by many artistes. Somewhere along the line, I got credited by him as the one who named his music "ozzidism". But this year, he was felled by colon cancer…”

Another friend of mine who departed this year was Yinka Craig. Best known for his exploits in television journalism, as a sportscaster and later, as one of the brains behind possibly the most successful newsfeature programmes on Nigerian television, Newsline, he was, unknown to many, one the most versatile men Nigeria has ever produced. There aren't many areas of art, culture and technology that Yinka did
not excel in. He played many musical instruments with dexterity. Back in the pre-Windows days of "Dos"; before computers had "mouse" and were tower cases only, I particularly found his interest in, and quick grasp of, the uses and possibilities of the computer truly amazing. I owe my own enthusiasm for the emerging technology to him!... I had the opportunity of doing things with this truly talented and selfless Nigerian. Yinka was that guy you could call upon at short notice to weigh in on any worthy cause, or even personal project and he would joyfully "own" the assignment..."



Three days from now, if the Lord tarries, we would be ushered into a
new year. 2008, the year widely acknowledged among Pentecostals as the
year of new beginnings, would have taken its place in history. All
glory to God, the highermost, for His goodness over us all.

At a personal level, the year 2008 has been as exciting as it has been
sobering. In a number of respects it did prove to be a year of new
beginnings in my life, ministry and business. And I shall share some
of my testimonies with you, as God's plans unfold. 2008 is the year
that I turned 60, and as the year wound down, my wife turned 50.
These, while giving us cause for celebration, has also caused us to
reflect on the paths that we have trodden together. It is has enabled
us to appreciate the love of one another and of family and friends.
The joy of having so many wonderful people including our children and
many members of our church family, around us during the prayer and
open house we held to mark my wife's birthday two days before
Christmas, still lingers in our hearts and is palpable in the
atmosphere all around us. Added to the multitude of love that we
experienced three months earlier when my own birthday was celebrated,
one cannot but thank God for His mercies and favour. For, of a truth,
it can only be God's love manifesting through His chosen vessels. We
give Him all the praise even as we acknowledge the men and women, old
and young who have so generously allowed the Lord to love us through
them. They will not be in want of love and honour, in the precious
name of Jesus.

There was however a twist to the tale. The year also featured the
painful departure of two gentlemen with whom I had the honour and
privilege of associating with at different phases of my life. Sonny
Okosuns, was a man I had a great deal of respect for; and I have good
reasons to believe that the feeling was mutual. I met him at a very
crucial turning point in his musical career. He had just originated a
brand of music. The music had its roots in the culture of his Bini
people, steeped in percussion and sonorous melody. It was also message
music. The days of lyrics that contribute nothing to society were over
for him. It was a departure from rock and reggae music that were in
vogue at that time in the early1970s which were of foreign origin.
Sonny was a nationalist. The change had to be total; he sought to do
what you would call re-branding today. He rested his group, Paperback
Limited. Somewhere along the line, he came up with the name Oziddi,
which, was a throwback to his days in art and drama and which
resonated with him since it was the name of a hero of one of Riverine
ethnic nationalities. Being an entertainment writer, among other
things, at the time, I had a ring-side ticket and my opinion was not
infrequently sought by many artistes. Somewhere along the line, I got
credited by him as the one who named his music "ozzidism".

When there was market resistance to Sonny's creation, one had the
priviledge being among those who counselled that he used what the
people wanted (reggae) to sell them what he knew they ought to
embrace (ozzidism). Two or three albums later, Ozzidism had gained
enough acceptability to stand on its own! Our relationship waxed
stronger.

Then something happened. My immediate boss recommended me for a
promotion that he felt I richly deserved. But the divisional boss
refused to approve it, wondering why a reporter "enjoying himself at
the expense of the company", should be further compensated! That was
how he saw the expenses claim I had to make for assignments that
regularly took me to nightclubs and other event venues. That I was
responsible for about 50% of the content of SPEAR, the highly
respected general interest magazine didn't change his mind, for a
while. Any way, I had to reduce my involvement in entertainment
journalism, to save my professional career. This, of course, put a bit
of a distance between me and many of the artiste-friends, including
Sonny. Later in life, however, fate was to bring us together again, to
live in the same neighbourhood in Ogba and the relationship continued
at a different level. And then, somehow, we both also went into
ministry, he eventually as founder of a church named House of Prayer
while God led me to Christ Chapel International Churches.

But this year, he was felled by colon cancer. I wasn't around to pay
him my last respects, being abroad at the time of his burial. So I
seize this opportunity to say a belated "good night" to a wonderful
artist who loved his nation, stood up for the black race and
thankfully found and served Christ. Sweet is the memory of the
righteous.

Another friend of mine who departed this year was Yinka Craig. Best
known for his exploits in television journalism, as a sportscaster and
later, as one of the brains behind possibly the most successful
newsfeature programmes on Nigerian television, Newsline, he was,
unknown to many, one the most versatile men Nigeria has ever produced.
There aren't many areas of art, culture and technology that Yinka did
not excel in. He played many musical instruments with dexterity. Back
in the pre-Windows days of "Dos"; before computers had "mouse" and
were tower cases only, I particularly found his interest in, and quick
grasp of, the uses and possibilities of the computer truly amazing. I
owe my own enthusiasm for the emerging technology to him!

I knew Yinka in his days at NBC (Nigeria Broadcasting Corporation),
Ibadan where he was the celebrated sportscaster in the ancient city
that prides itself as the home of broadcasting. He relocated to Lagos
before I did, and I found the ease with which he fitted into the Lagos
scene, joining Benson Idonije on the very informative youth programme,
The In-Crowd on Radio Nigeria, Lagos, soon after arriving in Lagos
astonishing. Beyond knowing one another professionally however, there
was no real interaction until I was already out of the Daily Times
and joined one of our mutual friends, Tunde Fagbenle in establishing
the well-known public relations and publishing outfit, Alfa
Communications. There was also the Segun Odegbami link. From that
point on, I had the opportunity of doing things with this truly
talented and selfless Nigerian. Yinka was that guy you could call upon
at short notice to weigh in on any worthy cause, or even personal
project and he would joyfully "own" the assignment.

Strangely, I must have been one of the very few people who did not
hear about Yinka's plight until the eve of his departure to the United
States for treatment, a trip, he didn't return from! It was from a
chance reading of Tunde Fagbenle's Sunday Tribune column on his
encounter with some of the donors to the huge medical expenses that I
first got wind of it. In the event, I didn't have the opportunity of
seeing him. Neither did I have the privilege of paying him my last
respect, being unavoidably absent at the burial programme. So, here's
my respect to a gentleman with a heart of gold. To Kehinde who gave
her all to save the love of her life, and the children, all I can say
is: let the memory of his life, which as I had occasion to say about,
yet another friend, thankfully still alive and well, preached more
enduring sermons than many a pastor's weekly pulpit exertions,
strengthen you. May his soul continue to rest peacefully, in the Lord.

At the level of this column, 2008 is ending without the publishing of
the book, "The Flood Next Time," which is a collection of the pieces
carried on this page in 2007. The plan was to launch the book at a
public event and use the proceeds to resuscitate the magazine,
KINGDOMPeople which was rested after two abortive attempts. That the
project did not take off speaks volumes about how difficult it can be
to interest many top Nigerians in things of the Kingdom. But, I do not
plan to give up. So, I trust that I shall have a positive report this
time next year.
In concluding this personal reflection, please permit me, dear
readers, to apologise for the occasions during the year that the
column went awol. It is my pledge that I shall do my very best to
avoid recurrence in 2009. Thanks for always being there. May your
Christmas be filled with Christ. (NEXT: KINGDOM PERSPECTIVE HEROES AND
READERS OF 2008).

No comments: