Sunday 26 June 2011

LETTER TO ANYIM PIUS ANYIM, SGF (1)

Chief Anyim Pius Anyim
Dear Chief Anyim, I am writing this open letter to congratulate you on your appointment and inauguration as Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF.  I know you would have received many of such letters – a whole range of them, the fawning, the patronizing, the inspiring and the self-serving – such that by now they are probably just filed away, without being read. I hope this experiences a better fate.
I wouldn’t know how my reason for writing rates this letter, but it is absolutely important to state it up-front, as I am an apostle of full disclosure.  The most important single reason I am writing is to serve you notice that I shall, as much as practicable, be one of the keenest watchers of your activities in office. I shall be one of the cheer leaders when you get it right and one of your loudest critics, if you ever deviate. You know why I shall be doing that? Although, I have never met you, I am one of your admirers - as one of my pastors who was a Law School mate of yours, can testify. I came closest to meeting you last year when you presided at the annual seminar of International Foundation for Christian Unity (IFCU), in Lagos where I was one of the speakers. But I arrived so late; you were leaving as I was coming in! (Not a habit, I assure you).
What I do admire in you is therefore more of a hunch, deriving from your public life and statements. They ooze humility and faith in God. My self-appointment as an observer of your activities in office, therefore takes its root from your public demonstration of commitment to faith in Jesus Christ, and by nature of this column.
It is already well known that one of the things you did when you left office as President of the nation’s upper legislative chamber, the Senate, was attend Bible School. (Interestingly your “good friend”, who shall be unnamed here, also chose to study the Bible after eight years of playing god with our national destiny; though at a distance learning institution).
Your utterances since taking office further strengthen my resolve to embark on this assignment of which I am notifying you. Two of them will suffice as reminders.
First media reports of your inauguration were unanimous that you saw your appointment as the “will of God”. ThisDay newspaper’s report by Dele Ogbodo read partly like this:  “The newly inaugurated Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Senator Anyim Pius Anyim…stated that his appointment as SGF by President Goodluck Jonathan was the will of God for him and for all Nigerians. Anyim made the declaration in Abuja, while formerly taking over office from the out-going SGF, Alhaji Yayale Ahmed.
“While expressing no regret on his failed ambition of becoming the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)…he said ‘though the office of the SGF is not an arm of Government that I’m very conversant with, as a politician with the legislative arm, l’ m very eager to learn from my forerunner, Alhaji Yayale Ahmed, who is a very distinguished and patriotic Nigerian.’ Anyim expressed appreciation to Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, for the trust reposed in him by giving him yet another opportunity to serve the country, stating that he will not disappoint the president and the nation…”
The other, also a ThisDay report, this time by Sunday Okobi, provides for me, another basis upon which your activities in office can very reasonably be appraised. It reads, in part: “Secretary of the Government of the Federation (SGF),  Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, has enjoined Nigerians to always seek the face of the Almighty God in any decision they make in life adding that the reason man experiences difficulties in life is because he wants to play God. ‘He (God) opposes the proud and gives way to the humble.’
“Anyim made this comment while addressing Akokwa Christian Elites in Lagos at their annual dinner party at the weekend. He reasoned that if man must experience peace, joy and success in life, and also, with the fact that God is not a respecter of anybody irrespective of his status in the society, he (man) should always work and walk in God’s path to curry His avalanche favour.
“’There is no alternative to fearing God, to doing the right thing, to being fair to human beings. The most bankable investment I have on my children is the one I can have on other people. So be good to humanity.’
“The former Senate President who sounded more religious than politician that evening while drawing illustration from the Holy book with the story of the ‘rich fool’ said: ‘The reason man must fear God and always seek his face in his everyday life is because the earth and our individual lives belong to Him; we are just items in his vineyard. If He deems to forget you, he just replaces you with another person. He doesn’t lose anything.’
“Anyim also illustrated God’s supremacy using his life as an example. He disclosed how he wallowed in ignorance when he sought to occupy the People Democratic Party Chairmanship position without waiting for God direction. ‘I took my campaign to Kaduna. While in my hotel room, a voice said ‘this will not work’ I rebuked it thinking it was the voice of the devil to weaken me, the next thing I heard was that the party will choose a consensus candidate. But after constant consultation with God, and without stress, I got to where I’m today…
“He told the Akokwa businessmen and women who gathered at Sheraton Banquet Hall that the best experience he has on earth is a life of total dependence on God adding ‘It’s only God that secures man. No matter the body guards around you, what God says will happen to you, must surely come to past…I never dream of becoming a politician in life. It happened because I believe success comes from God; I now live life confidently, knowing that I have conquered the fear of my tomorrow, ‘Anyim affirmed…” (CONCLUDES NEXT WEEK).


No comments: