Sunday 16 September 2012

OPEN LETTER TO NCC: PLEASE CALL DIRECT-ON-PC TO ORDER


Finally, when the almighty bosses have signed the “compensation”, it bears absolutely no relationship with either the number of lost days or the data balance on your account. The particular case in point for which I am insisting full compensation will throw some light on this unjust practice by DoPC.

Dear Dr  Juwah,
I feel constrained to write this open letter to you concerning a company known as Direct-On-PC, offering data services under the supervision of your commission.  I am doing this openly because all my attempts to use the complaint facility on your website have failed. It seems to have been designed for issues concerning GSM operators only!  

I have been a customer of DoPC since October 20, 2011 when I signed up for   a SOHO data package with them and Account No SNG00000000000027508 was opened with User Name: Akano.

In this period, there has been only two 30-day cycles out of eight (allowing for the period I delayed renewal) that I didn’t have to call Customer Care numbers  and/or send emails with “connection failure” complaints.

Now, that may well be “normal” in our environment, particularly as every operator in the telecoms sector has power constraints to tout as cause of their failure; a failure which close watchers of the industry know is actually the result of systems overload; itself a product of greed. But that is a matter for another day.

While I can make allowance for systemic challenges and have over this period, I am unable to accept the attitude of DoPC to what they call “compensation” for loss of service during periods when through no fault of the client, days and data allowance are unutilized.
Firstly, they are never proactive about it. They terminate services on schedule even where there is an on-going case of loss of service, blaming it on pre-programming.  Next they take their time in processing the so-called “compensation”. It is not unusual for the ladies at customer care to tell you, “your compensation is being processed” or “awaiting signature.” And this can go on for a week or more.

Finally, when the almighty bosses have signed the “compensation”, it bears absolutely no relationship with either the number of lost days or the data balance on your account.  The particular case in point for which I am insisting full compensation will throw some light on this unjust practice by DoPC.

On August 9, I wrote to the company as follws: “Dear DoPC, My SOHO account has been at best erratic since it was renewed. In the last One week, it's been absolutely useless! Connection failure is all I've got!  Can this be resolved, please? Thanks – REMI”

That began a long  agonizing interaction by email and phone which ended my services or more correctly non-service was terminated with efficient alacrity on August  25 2012 at the expiry of the 0-day subscription with 8.01GB  or about 55% of my data allowance still unutilized through DoPC’s  inefficiency.  I wrote several other emails to Dear DoPC as follows.

In one of those mails I all but anticipated what was about to happen: “There has been virtually no service on this account still. Since I reluctantly renewed nearly three weeks ago, I have been subjected to untold frustration and agony. In what has proved to be an accident, it worked late last night for about an hour, but has since been returning "connection failure". Any moment soon, the subscribed period will be over with well over 70% of data unused. Then another round of negotiation for "compensation" will start!  I feel conned, to put it mildly. Why, DoPC, why? –REMI”

When there was no reply, I followed up with this: “More than 24 hours after this email, mum has been the word from DoPC. Interesting. Can you please arrange to refund my money, since you seem incapable of satisfactorily rendering the service for which I paid? Thanks –Akano”

 In between this, I even gave them a bit of good news, even while experiencing and conveying my frustrations: “Although, my internet link worked between 6 and 10pm last night, it has gone dead since. It's all so frustrating and, worse, it's negatively affecting my productivity and even, credibility. What's happening?! – Akano”

After this and the situation remained the same, I made a specific demand: “May I inform you that in the face of the VERY POOR service I experienced this past 20 days or so, I am yet to utilise more that (sic) half of my data allowance. Therefore my service expiry date needs to be extended by at least three weeks. This is only reasonable and just because of the inability to use that which was paid for was caused by you. Please treat as IMMEDIATE.

Meanwhile, one can only hope that the slight improvement in service experienced over the public holiday period will continue now that work is resuming. Thanks -  Remi Akano

In all of these I have been receiving the usual please bear with us emails and phone call usually from evelyn@directonpc.com, signed by Evelyn Omiohue  of their Customer Care Team. At this stage in the communication between us, she said that compensation was being worked out.

When nothing was forthcoming, I wrote again as follows: “When will this so-called compensation be "worked-out"? Do you have to have access to the minimal service you are providing terminated first? This tardiness, not to say, impunity is rubbing salt on my wound!”  

Again, nothing happened and reacted this way: “in spite of promises made earlier today, the day is virtually over and, as usual, I am being kept waiting by almighty DoPC to get what is rightfully mine! Services paid for but not rendered and, whereas your system is configured to wrongfully terminate services; it is not configured to right wrongs. Nor are men and women at DoPC predisposed to speed in doing so. I feel outraged by this corporate rape and must warn that my patience is wearing thin. Thanks you – Akano”

Finally, DoPC came up with a “compensation” of 5 days! When I refused, they claimed they were adding 7 days. I am insisting on at least 15 days, which is the closest thing to the days I lost and adequate for utilization of the outstanding data on my account.

 I am asking you to use your good offices as EVC at NCC to step in to ensure that the right and just thing is done in my case and hopefully in all such similar cases, henceforth.  Should  you be unable to, I reserve the right to take any further legitimate steps to protect my right as a consumer.

 Your Compatriot - REMI

No comments: