Sunday 2 September 2012

THE OBAMA ERA IN RESTROSPECT

"Yes, I was earnestly hoping and praying to be proven wrong; that I had somehow been so prejudiced that I didn’t see the light in the horizon; that blinded by what one of my beloved sisters in church, as recently as last Thursday evening, called my right-wing extremism that I had misread and misjudged Obama..."

Shortly after Obama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States of America, I did a piece titled, “Now, the Obama Era” (January 25, 2009). It was a glowing tribute to the fighting spirit of the man, an acknowledgement of the historicity of his election, but an expression of cautious hope about the possibilities of an Obama presidency.

Today, with another election a few weeks away and his reelection a strong possibility, I just thought to revisit what I considered the one issue critical for the future of the United States and, indeed, all nations of the world. That issue is the place of God in the running of the affairs of state.

But let’s begin this way. Yes, I did join in the celebration, although I was one of the few, very few Nigerians and perhaps, Africans, who were not excited about Obama’s candidacy. And I said so on this page in several write-ups, to the chagrin and condemnation of many.

In joining in the celebration, however, I was not simply joining the winning side. I was paying tribute to the fighting spirit of the man and the historic nature of his victory and inauguration, as the first three paragraphs of the article shows:

“It’s over – the long nights of dreaming, that is. Now it’s time to live the dream, or more correctly, the reality. It has been a long, tortuous march through long stretches of dangerous valleys and daunting mountains; a long energy sapping swim through a vast shark-infested ocean. Now, the young man who dreamt of studying law and did it; dreamt of becoming a law professor and became it; dreamt of becoming a State senator and became it; dreamt of going to Capitol Hill as a Federal Senator and made it; who in his first term as a senator slugged it out with the best of them for his party’s presidential ticket and won it; who dreamt of becoming President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States of America is safely in the saddle at the White House of Pennsylvania Avenue! Dream fulfilled!

“It was an electric moment. When Chief Justice Warren spoke the last line of the presidential oath, it was a question: “so help me God?” Barack Hussein Obama replied in the affirmative: “so help me God.” And then, in the full view of millions of people across the globe, with his hands outstretched to the man who until then had only been president-elect, Warren spoke the final words: “congratulations, Mr President!”

“And so, the skinny man with the strength of a hulk, in Davidic version, became the 44th president of the world’s most influential nation; the very first man of colour, to lead the white dominated rainbow commonwealth that used to be known as God’s own country. Or still is?”

That done, I went on to what I considered the downside of things then, and which has not changed nearly four years down the road. Please read on:

“Through all the revelry, through the celebration of the historicity of the inauguration of the first black president in Barack Obama, it is this poignant irony that continued to haunt me. “God” was the last word this man had to mention before he became president of a nation whose founding fathers had nicknamed God’s own country.  But God had long since been relegated to the background in this land of opportunities. He had been banned from the schools and from public places. The nature and form and extent of His involvement in the affairs of the State have to be negotiated among contenders who each claim to represent Him. He has been democratized to the point of being indistinguishable! And whatever changes this celebrated apostle of change, this symbol of audacious hope, was promising held little hope that God and His values were on the road to restoration. Or perhaps it did and I had missed it.”

Yes, I was earnestly hoping and praying to be proven wrong; that I had somehow been so prejudiced that I didn’t see the light in the horizon; that blinded by what one of my beloved sisters in church, as recently as last Thursday evening, called my right-wing extremism that I had misread and misjudged Obama. I therefore, as I reported then did the next best thing:

 “So, I listened to his inaugural address. It was good. It was a beautiful piece of inspiring, rousing rhetoric. ‘Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath,’ he began. ‘The words have been spoken during rising tides of prosperity and the still waters of peace. Yet, every so often the oath is taken amidst gathering clouds and raging storms. At these moments, America has carried on not simply because of the skill or vision of those in high office, but because ‘We the People’ have remained faithful to the ideals of our forbearers, and true to our founding documents (emphasis inserted). So it has been. So it must be with this generation of Americans.’”

 As I wrote then, “That (the emphasis above) got my attention. With rapt attention, I listened as he continued: ‘That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age. Homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered. Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet. …Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America — they will be met.’” (CONTINUES NEXT WEEK)

No comments: